Sunday, July 28, 2013

Addi's Birth Story



Several ladies whose blogs I love to read have recently had babies and posted their birth stories.  I also have a ton of friends who are having babies right now (mostly boys!).  Listening and reading these stories have brought back a ridiculous amount of emotions in me.  Both good and bad.  Most of y'all know what happened after Addi was born, but I never posted her actual birth story.  So, here it goes...

It all started at my 39 week doctor's appointment when protein was found in my urine test, which is a sign of preeclampsia.   My blood pressure was also a little high, so they had me lie on my left side for a few minutes and then retested.  At that point my doctor thought it would be necessary to induce that night.  Going into that appointment I never imagined we would meet our daughter the next day!  I will never forget calling Brad while I was walking to my car.  I could definitely here in his voice that he was nervous, but had a huge smile on his face.

I went back to work to gather a few things and inform them that I wouldn't see them again for another 12 weeks.  I really can't remember much after that except I'm sure I called everyone under the sun to let them know and then I went home to make sure everything was packed.  I also managed to take a nap, since we didn't have to be there until 9:00 that night.  

Once Brad got home, we went for dinner at Red Robin and then to Books-A-Million to get some magazines and books (i'm not exactly sure when we thought we would have spare time to read haha).  We then made our way to the hospital, got set up in our room, answered a million questions, and then got an ambien to help me sleep.  

I remember them starting the pitocin the next morning and then my doctor breaking my water.  It was the weirdest thing ever (like you are peeing yourself times 20).  Right after he broke my water, I could feel the contractions.  I didn't wait very long before asking for my epidural.  I was SO nervous and getting the epidural, but it wasn't bad at all.  I think that was around 8:00am.  The rest of the day was having a million family members and friends in and out all day and just hanging out and everyone listening to me complain because I was starving and couldn't have anything to eat.  I don't remember feeling anything after the epidural.

Then the fun began, around 2:00 pm It was time to get everyone except Brad out of the room and time to push.  I pushed for a solid 2 1/2 hours (at least).  I'm taking hard pushing.  It was the most tired I have ever been in my entire life.  I was giving it all I had and wasn't having any progress.  They had me lay in all sorts of weird positions (fyi - when they do this, please ask questions b/c it should have been a sign to me that something wasn't right, but I was too scared and trusting of the doctor to think anything would be wrong)  Finally, the doctor came in and we started making some progress.  After more pushing, 4th degree episiotomy, and use of a vacuum, she finally made her entrance into this world at 5:02pm weighing in at 8lbs 9 ozs and 22 1/2 inches long.  While he was sewing me up (worst pain of my life), I was waiting to hear her cry and after a minute or so, I finally heard that beautiful sound! 

Brad and I wanted to spend a few minutes alone with our daughter, but our family and friends had other plans.  The nurse came in saying there were at least 20 people in the waiting room who apparently were driving her crazy asking questions and she was begging us to let them in - haha.  

You can read the rest of Addi's story here

My little bit of advice I have for mommy's giving birth for the first time:  Doctor's aren't perfect and they screw up sometimes.  DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS.  Just because a doctor tells you something, don't be scared to question him.  It's your body, not his and you have a right to speak up if you think something is wrong.  After giving birth to Addi and talking to several of my nurse friends, I learned that my doctor wasn't who I thought he was.  Nurses have the best opinions on who the best doctor is b/c they work with them so closely - listen to them!  I am seeing a different doctor now and I LOVE her.  I'm also at a different hospital - one that is the best in Birmingham.  I figure that if something were to go wrong, then I would be in the best place possible to take care of my baby and me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment