Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Speech Update


Today, I attended Addi's speech therapy appointment.  I try to make it to one of the two meetings she has each month.  She was really good today and her ST was proud of her improvement.  She has definitely come a long way in the past year that she has seen her!  She starts occupational therapy in October, but it will only be once a month.

During our visit, she played with several apps on the iPad, worked on puzzles, flash cards and colored.  She didn't really care for the flash cards, so instead she kept pulling things to play with out of her ST's bag :)

Addi definitely talks a lot more when it's just two or three people in a room.  She gets quiet when she's around a big group of people, especially if she doesn't know them.  She still struggles with saying what she wants to.  Her ST said that it's like she has so many words in her head that she wants to say, but when she doesn't know how to communicate them and they just come out jumbled.  We do know that she WANTS to be heard.  I think this is why she repeats everything she says until you say it back to her.  

She's 2 1/2 and is about 6 months behind where she needs to be with her speech and communication.  This is definitely something that can be worked on and improved - right now we are making certain decisions and measures to make sure this happens.

I still struggle with comparing her to other children her age.  It's hard for me not to at times, but then I just have to remind myself that things could be worse.  After having a traumatic brain injury at birth and the only thing she really struggles with is speech?  I should be thankful that's all she struggles with, especially considering they told me she might have major delays and even a type of blindness!

I will never forget that day.  Brad had to go back to work (this was about a week after being born) and I was just sitting by her bed waiting for the neurologist to come and give me the results of the EEG/MRI.  As I was sitting there, the hospital's chaplain came up to me and gave me his card.  I had no clue he was there to sit with me while I got the news, I thought he was just making his rounds seeing all of the babies who were in there.  The neurologist came in and gave me the news that even though the swelling had decreased some, it was still there and there was some damage to the occipital and temporal lobes of the brain and began listing the effects of this damage (NOT something I wanted to hear!).  I don't know if I was just "cried out" or I didn't exactly understand what he was saying, but I never shed a tear.  I remember the nurse telling me it was ok to let it all out, but I never did.  I always waited until I was alone for that - I usually had a major break down at least once a day!

Sometimes, I feel like I have to explain to everyone what happened b/c I don't want anyone judging her.  Really, when you get down to it, it doesn't matter.  All that matters is she's a healthy little girl who is always melting our hearts!  The past is the past and God made her the way she is for a reason and that doesn't require an explanation to anyone!  




1 comment:

  1. I can't tell there were any "bumps in the road" to make your sweet daughter any different from other children her age. I was speech delayed as well (didn't speak until I was 7). I will keep her in my thoughts and say a special prayer for her (and you).

    ReplyDelete