Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hand Soap


Do y'all have a smell that brings back certain memories?  I have three in particular:

1.   The smell of Gardenias makes me want to go swimming.  It reminds me of summertime at my Mammaw's house.  She must have had them planted around the pool.
2.   The smell of something that has been burned.  When I was in the second grade, my mom was frying okra for dinner and I may or may not have left the back fence open for the dogs to get out.  She left the stove to drive around the neighborhood to find the dogs...this resulted in a kitchen fire.  I will never forget that smell.
3. Last, but certainly not least, is the smell of hand soap that is used at St. Vincent's Hospital.  I hate the smell of that stuff.  Here's why:


Most of you know about Addi's stay in the NICU after she was born (you can read about it HERE if you don't).  Before you are allowed into the NICU you have to go to a "washing station" and wash your hands.  We did this roughly five times a day for 30 days.  The first time I went back to that hospital after she was released and had to wash my hands, I was taken back to a place that I never wanted to go to again.  It's a place and time of heartache and sickness.  Images flashed in my head of Addi being hooked up the ventilator and wires everywhere.  It was an awful feeling.

Today, I went up to the hospital to pick up a prayer request for Footprint's Ministry and I was hit with that smell once again as I washed my hands.  All of the memories came flooding back, but I started to think about the precious, healthy two year old we have now.  No more sickness.  No more pain.  No wires.  No ventilators.  No beeping machines.  No medication.


Today, I was thankful for the smell of that stupid hand soap because I needed a reminder that God is faithful and full of grace and mercy (that I definitely do NOT deserve).  He is our ultimate Healer who makes all things new!

"And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up..."  James 5:15


3 comments:

  1. I have that same memory about the fire because it was the first time I was that close to a fire. Always wondered what caused the fire- we knew it happened in the kitchen but I never knew the whole story. God is good all the time. So glad that Addi is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was my fault! Haha! Hopefully we will see y'all tomorrow at both of the Degrado parties!

      Delete
  2. I agree! I have a few smells too that bring back memories! And hello fellow Bham blogger!! So excited to meet someone else from Bham ! So happy to have found your blog !!

    ReplyDelete