Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gardening 101

These past few weekends I have loved being outside. Normally I’m an inside girl. I burn easily and I hate bugs, so wanting to be outside is unusual for me! This year, for some reason, I’m drawn outdoors. I have this bright idea that I’m going start a little garden. I’m going to preface this by saying that I don’t think I’ve ever planted anything in my life. I’m going to start out VERY small and do an herb garden. I love to cook, so this should be great! I’m still trying to figure out exactly which herbs I want to grow. Rosemary is definitely on my list – LOVE roasted potatoes with rosemary – YUM!

I’m also thinking about growing some tomatoes and bell peppers. Whatever I start out with I want to plant them in containers. I don’t think I’m ready for digging in the ground yet! Haha!

I have found several blogs with tutorials to help me get started. Do any of you garden? If so, what do types of things do you plant? Any tips/suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I do now with a little help from my hubby! You seriously may want to look into a patio garden like we have. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Upside-Down-Patio-Garden/13313685
    You can grow the tomatoes hanging upside down and then put your herbs and pepper on the top. That way you don't have to fool with tomato cages and all that mess! I don't know if you can hang the peppers or not, that's what I'll be testing this year!

    All you really need to start are some plants (we usually get ours from Lowes), and miracle gro garden soil. One big bag should be enough for that little garden. If you can get some mulch to go on top, it'll help the soil keep from drying out so you won't have to water as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! It looks like it won't take up too much space!I will def be checking that out this weekend. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to grow. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete