Monday, September 20, 2010

Footprints

When I used to visit Addi in the hospital I couldn’t help but find myself wondering about the other families that were there. What was their situation? What are they going through? There were a couple of babies there that I never saw a parent visiting. At first I was furious at those parents. How can you have a sick baby and not even come and visit?? I began thinking about it and I realized that not everyone is as lucky as we were. Some of the mom’s in there had to work during the day and visit when they could at night. Some had to just visit on the weekends because they lived out of town. I had no clue what some of these families were going through, but all I could do was pray for them.


Ever since Addi was dismissed from the hospital, I knew I wanted to give back to the NICU in some form or fashion. I began to Google “NICU ministries”. I came across Footprints Ministry. They have three chapters in our state and one happens to me in my area! I knew I had to sign up to help. Footprints makes gift bags to give to the NICU families. They contain a bible, burp cloth, receiving blanket, disposable camera, gift cards, etc. We also pray for the families. My personal prayer for them is that they know Jesus Christ and they have faith and trust in Him to take of them in their times of need. I couldn’t imagine going through that without having faith in Him. Footprints is also trying to start a prayer/support group for these families. This is something I’m really excited about! I had plenty of people surrounding me that I could have talked to, but it would have been nice to have someone who has been in my shoes and actually understood what I was going through. We want to encourage these families and let them know that God is there for them. They might not understand why things happen the way they do, but God’s ways are greater than our own!


Even though I wouldn’t want Addi to ever have any pain or hurt, I wouldn’t change the way things happened. I’m actually thankful for what happened. It brought my husband and I closer to together and closer to the Lord. It made us more thankful than we ever would be for our little girl. Her story has been a blessing and encouragement to others. It’s also given me the opportunity to be involved in this awesome ministry to help share God’s love.

Please let me know if you would like to volunteer your time to Footprints!

6 comments:

  1. I live so far away I can't physically volunteer but would love to pray for these families. Is there a way to be part of a prayer group for them from a distance? Thanks so much for sharing this special cause (I came over from Kellys Korner and love your living room btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    One other thing that I happen to know about is Simon the Loving Lion at Children's Hospital. It's a program through the Pastoral Care department and although it's not limited to the NICU, all NICU families are recipients. People or groups in the community donate a Simon (I think it's about $20) and in addition to donating the Simon and a storybook, you also pledge to pray for the child and his/her family. He is a tangible reminder of the presence of God, even in the middle of a hospital ward! You can get more info about Simon here - http://www.chsys.org/body.cfm?id=475

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cerys - We send out emails of all the prayer requests! If you want to be added, just send me your email address. Just send it to bradandmb@gmail.com. Thank you so much!

    Sandy - that's awesome! I've never heard of Simon! Right now we are just serving St. Vincent's, but we eventually want to spread to other hospitals in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Beth,

    I would love to help with Footprints. My little girl Braegan was in the NICU for four days but I too wanted to find a way to help the other families. Let me know what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - Just send me your e-mail address and I will make sure you are added to the mailing list. Our next meeting is October 14th. We are planning on making a lot of bags that night. We would love for you to join us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My email address is yorkiegirl1218@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete