Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Coupon Obsessed

Over the past year I have been "couponing" on and off. I would check my usual coupon websites and occasionally cut out the coupons if I had time. But lately I have become obsessed with it! Today I went to Publix and spent $36.00 and saved $44.00. I could have done better, but my printer is broken and I can't print out any coupons. I just have to rely on the newspaper inserts and All You magazine. Publix is my store of choice. I about have a panic attack every time I go in Wal-Mart and Winn Dixie makes me gag (I'm weird, I know). Publix is more expensive when it comes to meat, but I just refuse to go anywhere else. I also love CVS and Walgreens. I know everyone says to stockpile, but I'm running out of room! Brad told me I'm not allowed to go to the grocery store until our pantry is bare. This will take a while!! Tonight I came in with 4 bottles of body wash. My sweet hubby asked me why in the world we needed 4 huge bottles. My response? "Why not when I only paid $1.97 for all 4???" Yeah, I think i'm going to have to chill on the couponing for a little while!

I'm always trying to think of ways that I can save money. A few months back, I got this bright idea to start making our own laundry detergent. I bought everything I needed to make it, but I never came around to it. I probably spend more than I should at times, but for the most part I'm very pleased with our money saving. We only keep a certain amount in checking and anything over that amount I transfer to savings. Not long after we found out I was pregnant we opened up another savings account for Addi. I have a certain amount drafted to her account each payday.

Another way we save money is if we don't have cash to pay for it then we don't need it. I don't even own a credit card. I know I should in order to build credit, etc. Frankly, I don't trust myself with one *and neither does Brad :) *. Both of our cars were bought with cash and the only thing we owe on is our house. Our house is another story. We both hate it and we want to move. It's way to small for all of our "junk" and we aren't in the best area. BUT if one of us loses our job then we don't have to worry about how we are going to make the payment. Even though I hate our house, I'm very thankful for it and the memories we have made here.

This has probably been a very boring post, but I'm always so curious how other people spend their money and how they save. What are your money saving tips??

2 comments:

  1. I'm not very good about going out of my way to save money, but Sam's is definitely a life saver. I haven't had to buy vegetables, chicken stock, or pasta in months (and it looks like I've got several months to go before I'll need them again!) We always buy big packages of meat, then break it down into small packs and freeze it. I like to meal plan whenever possible so I don't buy anything we don't need (and can cook with what we have!)

    It's not a bad idea to have a credit card for emergencies, but put it in a ziplock of water and shove it in the freezer as soon as you get it! Credit card debt is just a stress that nobody needs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Sam's! Most of the time we just buy cokes, water and diapers there. I will definitely check out their meat though!

    Brad has a credit card for emergencies. I just don't have one in my name. Although if I did, I would def. have to freeze it!! Good idea!! haha!

    ReplyDelete