Friday, March 12, 2010

MRI results

We were told to be at the NICU at 8:00 am this morning. Well, we were there but the Neurologist wasn't. He decided to show up around 11:30. The nurse called to see where he was and he basically told her that he would be there when he got there. Of course we are about to throw up we are so nervous about hearing these results. But, we waited patiently for 3 1/2 hours until he arrived. I understand he's a VERY busy man, but these results were very important to us and a little bit of compassion would have been nice. I'm not trying to complain, but I just had to vent for a second :)

Once he got there and reviewed her MRI, him and the neonatologist on duty called us in the conference room. He basically said that the swelling was still there. There is some type of imaging that shows if there has been any damaged/dead brain cells or tissues and this test didn't show any of that, so that was good news. BUT, he said the brain cells/tissues could still become damaged or die b/c there was still swelling there. Of course this isn't what we wanted to hear, but we are still hopeful that the next MRI they do will show a reduction in the swelling. This test is scheduled for next Friday.

After we heard the results, we just needed time to ourselves so we could take it all in. We ended up going home for a little while. This was the first time in a week we have been home. Winnie (our cat) was glad when she saw us! Don't worry, my mom has been making trips to our house to feed her and everything so she is not neglected.

We came back around 4:00 to see Addi. She was sound asleep. The nurse said she had been taking her passy. She never takes it when we are there! After our visit with her, our friends Janna and Jared came to visit from Huntsville. We all went to the Fish Market. It was so nice to spend time with friends and get out of the hospital for a little while! I wish they lived closer!!

Around 9:30 we made another trip to the NICU to see our little girl. She was wide awake and squirming like crazy! Because there is a tube in her mouth she is constantly rubbing her tongue up against it to get it out. She looks like a little lizard! Brad asked the nurse if they could take the tube out for a little while b/c it seemed like it was bothering her so bad. The nurse said it wouldn't hurt just for a little while. As soon as she took it out, Addi calmed down and closed her eyes. I'm sure when we go back in the morning the tube will be back in, but it gave us peace of mind to know it wasn't bothering her when we had to leave!

Our sweet nurse that we love so much reminded us of a bible verse today:
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself."
Matthew 6:34

We know in our hearts that Addi will be healed and God is taking care of her. There is no need for us to constantly have this fear that something bad is going to happen. It's not going to do us any good. We just need to continue to give her to the Lord!

On another note, tomorrow is Brad's birthday!!! The big 3-0! Our plan is to sleep in for a little while. This is something we haven't done in long time :)

Please pray:
* She has no more seizures
* Her infection continues to heal in her tummy
* The swelling in her brain decreases
* No brain cells or tissues get damaged or die


  1. MaryBeth,

    This is Amy (I used to live behind you in Centerpoint) and I am friends with Amber and she asked all to pray for you and your little one. I am definitely praying and I know how hard it is to have a little one in the NICU. Those were the hardest days of my life. Please know that it is okay to go home and rest- you are going to need that rest when she comes home. You must remember to take care of yourselves- Addi needs you healthy and strong. The nurses in the NICU are the best they have, so remember she is great hands when you are not there. I will continue to pray for you and your famiy. If you need anything don't be afraid to ask, people will help! Amy

  2. Hi, Mary Beth -

    It's Brittany's Mom. She's been good to keep me updated and I read your blog and pray faithfully for your precious little girl. Being very "type A," I've had a little wooden box for years that I call my "God Box." :) I write things down I have no control over and put them in the box for God to handle. It allows me to feel like I've "done" something and to turn it completely over to Him. Every few months I clean out the box and I am amazed at all God has done while I was busy doing other things. I'll add your prayer list to the box today! If you need ANYTHING, just let me know. Sue

    Father, you are the Great Physician and we ask you to hold this precious little girl in your hands and heal her completely. Hold her parents close so they can feel your loving arms around them, comforting them and carrying them through each moment. Grant them a peace only you can give so they can rest and refresh and be able to care for Addi. Speak to the doctors and nurses caring for her and give them wisdom and knowledge to understand her unique needs and care for them properly and in a timely fashion. Thank you for this sweet little blessing named Addi and each miracle of each day. We ask all these things in the name of your precious son, our Savior, Jesus. Amen